Click on the topics below to see answers to frequently asked questions regarding IB;
Click here for common myths associated with IB.
- What is an International Baccalaureate? What does ‘Baccalaureate’ mean ?
- How do IB courses compare to AP courses?
- What are the advantages of the International Baccalaureate? How will I benefit from graduating from the IB program?
- Must a student be academically gifted to be in the IB Diploma Program?
- Can students with special needs participate in an IB Program?
- What preparation do students need in order to succeed in the IB Diploma Program? How can they be sure they are taking the right courses to prepare them for IB?
- Do all students who attempt the IB Program earn the IB Diploma?
- What if I decide I do not want to continue in IB once I start?
- How are the students who do not earn the IB Diploma awarded?
- Can students take IB courses without being in the full IB Diploma Program?
- Does the IB Diploma satisfy the State of Virginia graduation requirements?
- Can students transfer from one Diploma Program school to another?
- Are IB students at Patrick Henry High School isolated from other students?
- Can IB students be involved in athletics and extra-curricular activities, have a social life, and still maintain good grades?
- How does one avoid burn-out? How do you know if you should continue in the program?
- What is the difference between Higher Level (HL) courses and Standard Level (SL) courses?
- How do we decide which SL and HL courses to take?
- Do I have the same teacher both years of a higher level course?
- What about weighted courses? Won’t my GPA suffer in the IB Program?
- What is the average amount of time I should expect to spend on homework each night in pre-IB and IB? How should I study?
- What is the Extended Essay?
- What is Theory of Knowledge?
- What is CAS?
- How are students assessed through the IB?
- How many IB exams are there, and when do students take them?
- What scores does a student need to earn in order to gain the diploma?
- Can an IB course be taken without taken the exam? Alternatively, can an IB exam be taken without having taken the course?
- Is it beneficial to take an SL examination in the junior year?
- How do colleges and universities view the IB Diploma? How important is the IB Program to colleges when deciding whether or not to accept a student?
- How many credit hours for college do IB students typically earn?
- What kind of scholarships does IB give to students?
Still have questions? How do you find out more?
Contact your school’s IB Coordinator (info on sidebar) to schedule a meeting. The International Baccalaureate Organization has a comprehensive website including listings of IB schools worldwide: www.ibo.org.